1. Make your own wall photo mural.
A printable wall mural makes your room feel much larger without the permanence (or cost) of paint or wallpaper.
2. Line your bookshelves with washi tape.
Washi tape (colored paper tape) is your new best friend when it comes to dorm decorating. Like painter’s tape, it removes without residue, meaning it’s perfect for temporarily decorating lackluster dorm furniture.
Learn how to line your shelves with it here.
3. Build a simple, temporary headboard.
This super easy headboard is made from stuff you probably have lying around and makes a standard dorm bed look much more luxurious.
Learn how to make it here.
4. Turn a metal wastebasket into a side table.
If you’re not allowed to bring in extra furniture, spray paint an inexpensive wastebasket in the color of your choice, flip it upside down, and use as a bedside table.
5. Add a cozy canopy to your bed without breaking regulations.
This clever method utilizes removable Command hooks instead of nails.
6. Use washi tape to make your poster collection look more cohesive.
Simply tape around each poster you hang.
7. Place some potted plants around your room to add a bit of nature.
Dorm rooms can feel unbearably sterile, so bring in some life with a few plants.
Learn how to make these cute planters here.
8. Instead of simply hanging twinkle lights, turn them into a custom marquee sign.
This surprisingly easy sign is made from cardboard letters and electrical tape.
9. Hang a homemade geometric tapestry made from an old sheet.
10. Use floor cushions to add color and additional seating.
You can buy a few or make your own by following this tutorial.
11. If you have a mini fridge, use empty tea cans to store spare pencils.
Simply place a small magnet on the inside of the back of the tin.
12. Customize your bed set with iron-on transfers.
Improve boring bedding by printing out your own decals. Instructions here.
13. Use washi tape to add a diamond pattern to your door.
I told you, this stuff rules!
14. Make a decorative jewelry holder out of a branch.
To make it slightly more permanent, use ribbon or string instead of a leaf and knot closely to the branch.
15. Illuminate your photos by hanging them alongside twinkle lights.
16. Turn a shoebox and magnifying glass into a smartphone projector.
17. Transform a boring folding chair and use it as additional seating.
Sometimes you just don’t feel like having everyone pile onto your bed. Offer up an extra seat with easily storable folding chairs.
Learn how to make them over here.
18. Brighten up boring white walls with removable wallpaper sheets.
Chasing Paper makes easily removable peel-and-stick wallpaper. Place it behind your bed or use it to line the back of your desk.
19. Add a colorful area rug to bring your space together.
If you’re feeling ambitious and frugal, make your own out of old T-shirts.
20. Add some artful throw pillows to your bed.
Art isn’t just for your walls! Learn how to make this landscape pillow here.
21. Customize your pushpins.
You can basically glue anything to regular pushpins to create the bulletin board of your dreams!
Learn how to create this chunky gem version here.
22. Create temporary word wall art from strips of fabric and cornstarch.
23. Build a movable accessory display.
You can easily move it each year from space to space.
25. Make a simple confetti mural.
All you need are paper circles and painter’s tape.